Printer-friendly versionSend by email

Current Size: 100%

The canal

Classed as a UNESCO world heritage site, the Canal de la Robine is the main thoroughfare which gives the town its heartbeat

In the riverbed of the Aude

La Robine takes its name from the Occitan word Roubine which means "Canal".

Part of its route lies in what was once the riverbed of the Aude, called the Atax in ancient times and whose course was diverted after a series of floods in the 14th century.

In 1681, the Canal du Midi opened for business but it took another hundred years before the Robine was connected up to this major waterway by the Junction Canal.

Between the Canal du Midi and the  Mediterranean

32 km (20 miles) long, la Robine stretches from the Junction Canal, which links it to the Canal du Midi, all the way to the sea near the protected island of Sainte Lucie, passing straight through Narbonne on the way.

Lovers of calm waters can rent electric boats.

Some may prefer the wonderfully tended banks of the canal in the shade of the centenary plane trees, for a delightful walk or bike ride.

A fluvial port in the town

La Robine accommodates pleasure craft all year round along 2.5 km of moorings split into four quays

  • The Central Quay (Quai des Barques), in the heart of town, reserved for short stays.
  • The Quai Vallière
  • The Quai d’Alsace
  • The Quai de l’Escoute

Port office: Open all year round

* More

Notre sélection

  • Français
  • English
  • Deutsch
  • Español
  • Català
  • Italiano